Wednesday, May 12, 2010

5-year-old Arielle's revolutionary consciousness

For your pleasure, dear reader, I give you a sampling of some of my early literary production.

I know: this has been a slow month for us all. Righting the wrongs of the world can be an arduous task, as can pulling 9-hour days at a desk job that reminds me that I will never be the "key player" everyone seems to think I can be (hello, Emergency Communities, circa Camp Hope days).

In any event, my mother loves me and has saved the following document for everyone's enjoyment. You can tell by the moral of the story that I, even as a kindergartner, demonstrated a deep love and respect for a common humanity (or at least for chocolate).

Our heroic protagonist, Smiles the Clown, looks out not only for his own material wellbeing, but for that of his comrades as well. Yet he also is cognizant of the fact that strategic friendships have a dual importance - that is, for better or for worse - in enabling change for the individual experience.

UPDATE: I realized that I should have acknowledged the person I assume to have been the recorder of this artful masterpiece, Alissa "Ussa" Schecter Wright, age 10 at the time of transcription. Thanks, big sis!

Read on, gentle warriors, and be enlightened:

5 comments:

  1. "My powers are mysteriously easy." So much wisdom at such a young age.

    Also, the ringmaster sounds like Don Corleone. "I'm gonna make him an offer he won't refuse."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice that the fat lady didn't like Smiles' jokes. Surely this cannot be glossed over. Just the fact that she is referred to only as "the fat lady" seems counter-feminist to me!

    Then again, perhaps there's just a deeper struggle for that proverbial house full of chocolate (which, granted, does sound pretty wonderful...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, indeed. Perhaps the fat lady's humor is of a more sophisticated variant than that of Smiles. Notable also is that she did not benefit from the largess of the "ringmaster," whom I can only assume stands in for the proverbial "Man"/bourgeoisie in charge of the material wellbeing of his charges, the proletariat (?).

    Moreover, the "lion tamer" does not even have to go shopping for his own "matierials." What kind of counter-progressive vegetarianism was I espousing back in the day? I can only hope the chocolate was fair trade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've deconstructed it. When Younger Arielle talks about "distracting music" it signifies (!) that we, like Smiles, have to wade through the nonsense in order to get to the good stuff.

    Therefor the Fat Lady, the Lion Tamer, even the two hundred jelly beans are simply silly distractions (false signifiers! ah ha! tricky!) blocking us from getting to the point, which is that house full of chocolate, which is an ample stand in for our goals and desires. Which, for me, personally, would actually be attaining house full of chocolate. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But then we have the problem of the house full of chocolate, and not people. Houses are supposed to be homes, not property or mere storage facilities for more material wealth. Tricky.

    ReplyDelete