Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Further adventures with the NYU Registrar

This latest installment of "I thought graduating would put me out of my misery" is brought to you by the NYU Registrar's Office:

My health insurance provider is requiring documentation that I was a full-time student through the month of January 2010. They don't believe me or my bill-footing parents, of course, so I called up the NYU Registrar to request that such documentation be faxed to my mom, who's the primary insurance holder.

After being bounced around to various different representatives, I finally got to speak to my lovely friend Thelma. Thelma is my favorite Registrar person because we totally bonded during a three-week-long period back in February I call the Diploma Debacle:

Thelma: "We can mail you proof of degree completion within 1-8 months, Ms. Shneckers."
Me: "You mean my diploma?"
Thelma: "It may come in diploma form, yes."
Me: "So are you mailing my diploma?"
Thelma: "It depends."
Me: "On what?"
Thelma: [Silence]
Me: "I'm sorry, what's your name?"
Thelma: "Thelma"
Me: "Thelma, this is absurd."
Thelma: [Pause] "I know."

This time, Thelma told me to fax over my request for enrollment verification in writing, which I did immediately.

I called the Registrar's Office again this morning to check that they were on the case, which of course they weren't. I explained the situation to "Jason," who assured me that he would look into the issue:

Jason: "Let me do a little research to verify that this issue has been resolved."
Me: "It hasn't been resolved."
Jason: "Well, let me just check."
Me: "With all due respect, I'm telling you it hasn't been resolved. I requested that your office fax this letter, and we haven't received it."
Jason: "I understand."
Me: "I don't think you do."

Jason told me that someone at his office would be getting back to me within the hour. Of course nobody did, so I called back just now and Jason told me he talked to his supervisor and that the issue would be resolved, "pending acknowledgement."

I asked him what kind of acknowledgement was pending:

Me: "What exactly is the issue?"
Jason: "Well, I really need to check again with my supervisor..."
Me: "Listen, Jason, I'm not unfamiliar with the inability of NYU bureaucracy to function efficiently, and I'm sure this isn't your fault, but...
Jason: "I'll look into it."
Me: "What exactly are you looking into?"
Jason: "Your request, if someone's received it."
Me: "Do you mean someone lost my fax and you need me to send it again?"
Jason: "That would be good."

In any event, no sign of Jason's dignity or my verification letter. To be continued.

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhhh

    sounds like the umass debacle --the other day i got two more letters of acceptance from them (admissions + IT dept.), and when i called up to set the record straight, lovely "peg" told me that i must have accepted and declined....uh, actually YOU declined and accepted!!!?!?

    I eagerly await your part II.

    ReplyDelete