Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Riding a bike can increase your dating pool, and not always in the good way

A few weeks ago I was riding my bike along Frenchmen Street, a jazz club strip near the French Quarter, when a man called out to me:

"Hey baby! I was thinking of you blowing me with that helmet on!"

Now while I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the sexiness in bicycle safety, such comments generally confuse, frighten, or anger me.  This time, I waved the man off with a scoff and a "That's nice for you."  But the male companion I was riding with got really upset and asked if he should double back and confront the guy.  I told him no, that it wasn't worth it, and he should hear the things people say to me when I don't have a guy with me.

Sadly, this experience was just another consequence of our social failure to create and guarantee safe spaces for women.  It is a marker of civilization when women can walk/bike down the street without fear of verbal or bodily attack. Work on it.

2 comments:

  1. http://lavidaidealist.org/2011/07/03/machismo-madness-coping-with-the-burn/

    my fellow-Latin America bloggers have lots to say on this topic (I do too, it usually involves me shouting "vete a la mierda, pendejo!" or telling them that in the United States catcalling is a sign of a man with a tiny 'paloma.' I should probably stop before someone knifes me. I don't shout back at night... But it's really hard not to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I agree that riding a bike can increase your dating pool, But there are some jerks who misinterpret it, because the first thing that comes to their mind is that sex is like riding a bike.

    ReplyDelete